Pages

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I still don't like hiking boots (shoes)

to a shoe fanatic, (like myself), the clunky hiking boot is definitely the ugly duckling in the bunch, okay maybe tied for last place with the high-top reebok velcro 1980's sneaker....and I swore never to buy a pair.

until we booked a trip to Yosemite with Reid and Tab,... Reid is a major hiker/climber, the real kind, has all the gear, has climbed real mountains... etc. so, we were told we need to buy hiking boots, blaugh! Deric already had a pair, so I had to trek to REI all by my hestitant self. I tell the shoe guy, who is clearly a climbing fiend, because he's wearing these "shoes" that are like toe socks, but have some rubber on the bottom, yes, the kind of thing that would only look good on a "real" climber.

So I tell the guy up front "I need a hiking boot, grrrr, but I refuse to buy a high-top boot!" And he looks at me like "oh you poor wanna-be girly-girl, you're gonna be miserable" I don't care! Listen, I may have blisters the size of australia after i'm done, but at least my legs will appear 3 inches longer without my ankle cut off! Yes, I may be vain,... but chances are I will probably wear these shoes less than 10 times in my life, so I'm not buying an ugly, clunky, high-top shoe ever again! Yes, i may be rediculously irrational and defiant, and I should probably take the advice of a climbing pro, but I'm not.

Hiking boots are ugly. period.


and I bought a low-top pair, which I am wearing around, trying to break them in, ick.. they don't even match my scrubs.. but they're semi-comfortable..

and i'm developing a blister on the outside of my right ankle, that's just part of breaking them in, right?
I just looked at the REI reviews for this shoe: not good, hmmmm. 3 out of 5 stars.. oh boy, am I in for some pain!

2 comments:

  1. As far as hiking boots go, those look the most like sneakers I have ever seen, so I think you did good! I hope you have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm, those are EXACTLY the same hiking boots that I just bought yesterday!! too funny!! And unlike you, for me these were a HUGE improvement over the pair Reid originally made me buy...pictures soon to be posted on my blog! So, I'm thrilled with these boots b/c they are a million times better and more trendy looking than what I almost got stuck with! However, the 3 out of 5 rating they got is scary...didn't know that! Better start breaking them in tonight...

    Oh, and I'm so reading your blog entry to Reid tonight; he'll get a kick out of it! :)

    ReplyDelete